More than 50 years has passed since Glen Orchard Public School opened in 1958. The school was completed due to the closure of one-room schools in Glen Orchard, Foot’s Bay, Minett, Port Sandfield, Southwood, Torrance and Walker’s Point.
More than just bricks and mortar, the school that started with some opposition quickly became a place that brought together children from all over the region and united a community.
Located on a 50-acre property, Glen Orchard is able to offer educational activities such as outdoor education, including canoe-building workshops, cross-country skiing, and outdoor survival skills.
The school has benefited greatly from the Wahta First Nation community. Students from this community attend Glen Orchard. The community was instrumental in helping with the additions to the school, such as the gymnasium.
Today, the school continues to progress. It has undergone over $600,000 worth of upgrades and maintenance work including renovations to classrooms, new heating systems, air exchange systems, and exterior work.